Puzzle & Dragons account data is stored locally on the device which it is installed. Consequently, if the application is deleted or game data is lost by any means the user will lose the account and game progress.
To prevent potential loss, it is highly recommended to regularly backup one's account data. It is possible to contact GungHo to restore account data under vague conditions, but their customer service is terrible and should not be relied upon. Users should take it upon themselves to maintain the security of their account.
As of version 5.1, a Secret Code has been introduced unique to your device to ease the communication between GungHo's customer service. It is also possible to transfer one's account to another device of the same operating system using account backups. It is not possible to transfer cross-platform (Android to iOS or iOS to Android). Many users also utilize backups to play multiple accounts by saving and restoring the appropriate account data.
Before beginning, ensure you have a current record/screenshot of your ID, in-game Rank, in-game Name, and Secret Code. The Secret Code may be located in Others > Support > Show.
Table of Contents
- Android Device Backup
- Android Data Migration
- iOS Device Backup
- How to Reroll
- Contacting GungHo for Account Retrieval
- Reference & Credits
Android has several applications and tools available to backup and restore application data. All rely on using the 'adb backup' command available on Android devices, which will create a file with your data to store in a safe location. Use whatever method you are comfortable with, or multiple if you are paranoid.
Alternatively, the Android Data Migration option new to version 5.1 may also be used to restore an account the same device, detailed in its section below.
Some applications backup to the SD card/internal storage on your device. It is recommended to save a copy of this backup on your desktop or some other external media from your device. Backing up on Android does not require root access. However, in order to properly restore your account data the device may require root! There has been success restoring and transferring account data on an unrooted device using Carbon. It may be possible through other methods as well, but success may vary. If you are reluctant to root and find yourself needing your account restored, give Carbon and other backup tools a shot.
To backup your device using adb backup through command prompt, follow this guide on xda-developers.
Holo Backup is a simple GUI interface for using adb backup to create a backup of your device data.
Helium ( formerly Carbon ) is a free* application that can sync backups to your desktop, SD card, or cloud storage ( *paid )
Helium requires you sync the device to your desktop. Install the application on your Android device and desktop then follow the instructions for backup by connecting your device via USB. Desktop installer can be found here.
Titanium Backup is one of the more potent applications for backup, but it requires root access. The unpaid version can backup to your device or SD card. The paid version can keep multiple backups, schedule backups, and sync/backup to cloud storage. If you're going to spend money on a backup app, this is the only one you'll need.
Helium backup is streamlined in root, allowing you to backup without requiring the desktop software. Simply enter the app on your device, and backup to your location of choice ( limited to internal/SD storage in the free version ).
You may also backup your account by locating and copying the \jp.gungho.padEN\ folder on the device to your desktop. This folder is likely in your .\data\data\ directory and should have numerous .db and .bin files present totaling to ~50MB. I was not able to retrieve this folder by plugging in my device and navigating through Windows Explorer. I had to use the app Root Browser to find and copy the correct folder. ES File Manager is a free alternative to Root Browser.
Nandroid Backup is another app that will create a backup of your entire device. You may also browse the backup data for the \jp.gungho.padEN\ folder and extract it from the backup.
Once the adb backup has been created via the method of choice, the account can be restored or transferred to other Android devices. If you are having difficulty restoring on an unrooted device, you may need to root it. If your device does not have root and you wish to do so, there are helpful guides on the XDA Developers forum for specific devices and general rooting procedures. To root it is required to unlock the bootloader on the device. Your device will be reset to its factory settings to unlock the bootloader. Ensure there are multiple types of backups for all your device data before following this step.
Once the device has root access, the data can be restored using the same application or tool used to backup. The command prompt guide details the commands to restore, Holo Backup had a restore option, and Carbon and Titanium Backup apps both have restore functions.
To transfer the account to a different device, either use one of the tools with your game data backup, or move your Helium/Titanium Backup backup files to the same folder location on your other device's storage.
To restore using the \jp.gungho.padEN\ folder, overwrite the contents of the \data\data\jp.gungho.padEN\ folder on the device you are restoring with the backup data.
New to version 5.1, there is an official method to transferring your game data to a different device for Android. It is also possible to take advantage of this service to restore an account to the same device. This is effectively a server-side method to restore lost account data:
To restore an account to the same device, simply follow the directions as shown, using the same device in place of the new device intended for account transfer.
It is now possible to transfer your game data for Puzzle & Dragons from one Android device to another.
Before you begin, make sure your devices are synced to your Google Play account and that your E-mail address matches on both devices.
Warning: Please be warned that once the Google Play account has been synced, it cannot be undone. Also make sure to take down your in-game name, ID, current Rank, and Secret Code.
Step 1 Preparing Your Current Device
Step 2 Loading Data to the New Device
- From the [Others] Menu, tap [Game Data Migration].
- Select [Yes].
- After confirmation, make sure you [Give Permission].
* Please note: Your email address will not be saved on Gungho's servers. *
- Now registration for data migration is complete!
Note: Once the Data has migrated to the new device, the app on the old device will be reformatted to default settings.
- After downloading the game on a new device, boot up the app.
- At the Enter Name screen, rather than entering in a name, tap [Start Migration].
- Type in your ID that you wrote down during Step 1.
- Tap [GO] to authenticate your Google Account.
- Tap [OK] to finish the Data Migration.
- This service is only for Android devices. For backing up and moving iOS data via iCloud, please refer below to the iOS Device Backup.
- Please note that Android accounts cannot be migrated to iOS devices or vice versa.
- Please make sure to use the same Google Account that you originally downloaded Puzzle & Dragons.
- Migrated data will reflect the point where the other device connected to the network last.
( If the data migrated during a dungeon, it will not carry over )
- Email addresses will not be saved on the servers, but will be encrypted and used only to when transferring data.
- Once the migration is completed, the app on the old device will be set to default.
- You should also keep track of your Secret Code in case you need to contact support. To find it, tap Others > Support > Show.
iOS backup is a much simpler process than Android and does not require jailbreak. iTools is a file manager for iOS devices. Download and install iTools on your computer.
iTools Backup Process
( This process is useful for those who have had corruption in their iOS system and are unable to use iCloud to restore potentially harmful files in addition to PAD )
iTools Recovery Process
- Simply download and install iTools from the link provided above and plug in your iOS device. It should be recognized immediately.
- Under the [Your iOS Device] category, click the [Applications] sub-category and select PAD.
- You will be able to do one of three actions, [Backup] is what should be clicked.
- The option to backup only the documents or the app in addition to its documents will come up. Choose either seeing that the only important files are data048.bin and data056.bin to maintain your account and monster book.
Another iOS file manager is i-FunBox, which functions similarly to iTools.
The following is the official process for backup and restore:
- Now that your iOS device is reset, go to the app store and re-download PAD
- With the brand new app installed, plug your iOS device back into your computer and open iTools.
- Again, under the [Your iOS Device] category, click on [Applications] and find the new version you just installed of PAD there.
- This time, the action to select is [Browse]. In the [Documents] folder, all that is left to be done is to simply copy your previously saved to a location of your choosing data048.bin and data056.bin files into this [Documents] folder and rewrite any existing versions.
- The result will be a full restoration of both your account and monster book to the exact time that you backed it up.
Step 1 Preparing your Backup
Now the game that you've played up until now has been saved.
Alternatively, you need only backup the data048.bin and data056.bin files in the PAD folder. These contain the important account information required to perform a restore.
Step 2 Restoring from Backup
- First, go to the [Settings] app and select [iCloud].
- Then tap [Storage & Backup].
- Make sure that "iCloud Back up" is [On].
- Tap [Manage Storage].
- Tap the device marked [This iPhone] under [Backups].
* Your device may have a different name. *
- Make sure that [PAD] is set to [ON] under the [Backup Options].
* If this part is set to [OFF] the backup will not happen. *
- Go back two screens and choose [Back Up Now].
How to Migrate to your new device via iTunes
- Boot up your new iPhone.
- Tap [Restore from iCloud Backup].
- Type out your Apple ID and Password to select the data you wish to migrate to your new device.
- Once finished, tap the P&D icon and confirm that the game starts where you left off on the old device.
- Connect your iPhone to your usual PC/Mac, and boot up iTunes.
- Click on the box on the right marked [iPhone].
- Click on [This Computer] under "Automatically Back Up" in the Backups section.
- Click [Back Up Now]. * This process may take a while.
- Once it is done, plug in the new iPhone and from iTunes select [Restore Backup].
How to Reroll in Puzzle & Dragons
To reroll faster, close the game, go to Settings > Application Data, and "Clear Data" for PAD.
To reroll faster, close the game, delete the data048.bin and data056.bin files from your PAD folder, and restart the game. This should enable you to start over without deleting and redownloading the game.
For more information on the purpose of rerolling and good starting gods to aim for, please see the "Rerolling: Advice & Explanation" section of the General FAQ.
Contacting GungHo for Account Retrieval
If you find yourself without a backup in the event your account data is lost, GungHo may be able to restore your account. From the Other menu, selecting Support will navigate to the following link for GungHo's US customer service page.
Fill out the e-mail address, game ID, account name, and all relevant data detailing your issue.
As of version 5.0, GungHo has added a tip to keep a screenshot of your game ID. This is useful to include as an attachment when requesting an account restoration from GungHo.
As of version 5.1, you should also keep track of your Secret Code in case you need to contact support. To find it, tap Others > Support > Show.